RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., December 2, 2008- Geomagic announces a new version of Geomagic Studio software that adds powerful new surface manipulation capabilities to its award-winning Fashion module while improving performance for point and polygon processing tools. Geomagic Studio is the world's leading software for creating accurate 3D digital models from scan data of physical objects.
New in Fashion
The Geomagic Fashion module in Geomagic Studio 10x automatically identifies, analyzes and corrects imperfections in scan data to create high-quality geometric and freeform surfaces that can be further manipulated in CAD. This greatly reduces the time required to bring physical forms into the digital realm for mechanical design applications such as new design and reverse engineering. Major new features and enhancements to Geomagic Fashion include:
- Constrained surface-fitting capabilities for perfectly aligning surfaces and correcting imperfections in the as-built model or scan data.
- Automatic surface extension and trimming capabilities for creating perfectly sharp edges between neighboring surfaces, making edges and surfaces faster and easier to manipulate downstream in CAD.
- Advanced tools that enable users to exclude regions of a mesh that deviate from the desired surface classification, resulting in a more accurate representation of the digitized part.
"Geomagic Fashion gets us from scanning to accurate CAD models in half the time of other software," says Charles Evans, design analyst for Florida Turbine Services. "It's simple to use, and even with complex shapes and less-than-desirable point clouds, the accuracy is fantastic."
Better polygon models
Geomagic Studio 10x also includes enhancements that improve performance and quality of point and polygon processing. An improved algorithm for registration helps users create more accurate point clouds from scan data, and a new decimation methodology produces smaller, yet still accurate, polygon models.
Front-end for Class A surfaces
Geomagic Studio 10x with Geomagic Fashion further speeds, automates and simplifies the workflow of transforming scan data into a Class A surface model. Its capabilities make it an ideal complement to design tools such as Autodesk AliasStudio.
"Geomagic Studio 10x with Geomagic Fashion streamlines what was previously a time-consuming and tedious process of moving from points to polygons to Class A surfaces," says Karl Matthews, director of product management for Geomagic. "In conjunction with AliasStudio, it allows designers to bypass challenging modeling procedures and concentrate on the design process."
Solutions for specific applications
Geomagic Studio 10x is available in three editions to suit the needs of mechanical design and medical/scientific markets:
- Geomagic Studio - Fashion Edition is the premier product for mechanical design applications such as new design and reverse engineering. It includes Geomagic Fashion for automatically extracting design intent from scanned physical objects, providing the fastest way to go from scanning to CAD-ready surfaces.
- Geomagic Studio - Shape Edition is designed for medical and scientific applications where users want to create exact 3D replicas of organic objects such as bones or historical artifacts. It includes the Geomagic Shape surfacing module for creating water-tight NURBS surfaces.
- Geomagic Studio - Complete Edition is ideal for mechanical designers who want to extract design intent from existing objects and perform FEA and CFD analysis on as-built parts. This edition includes Geomagic Fashion for design work and Geomagic Shape for creating models of as-built parts.
Geomagic 10x will be available in early 2009. A complete listing of new functionality in Geomagic Studio 10x, descriptions of Geomagic products, and a feature comparison for the three different Studio editions can be found on the Geomagic web site: www.geomagic.com.
Geomagic (www.geomagic.com) is a global company dedicated to advancing and applying 3D technology for the benefit of humanity. Geomagic’s scanning and design software solutions are used to capture and model 3D content from physical objects, organically sculpt complex shapes, and prepare products for manufacturing. In addition, the company produces powerful 3D metrology and inspection software that verifies dimensional quality by comparing as-built products to master designs. Geomagic’s Sensable Phantom haptic devices simulate the sense of touch in a digital environment.
Geomagic’s software and hardware are utilized by world-class customers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, medical, consumer products, toys, collectibles, coindesign, jewelry, fine art, heritage restoration, research, education, mold making, entertainment, training and surgical simulation. In fact, some of the world’s leading companies and research organizationsuse Geomagic software, including Ford, BMW,Boeing, Harley Davidson, Timberland, Mattel/Fisher Price, Lego, Pratt & Whitney, NASA, Schneider Electronic, 3M, Danaher and Invisalign. Geomagic is based in Research Triangle Park, N.C., USA, with an office in Boston, subsidiaries in Europe and Asia, and channel partners worldwide.
Geomagic, Geomagic Studio, Geomagic Qualify, Geomagic Qualify Probe, Geomagic Spark, Wrap, Geomagic Wrap, Phantom, OpenHaptics, Omni, Freeform, Claytools, Sensable and Sensable Technologies, Inc. are trademarks or registered trademarks of Geomagic Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.